Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Rebbe "Focus More on Positive Jewish Issues"












"'I Remember standing in front of the Rebbe I felt that the Rebbe knew everything about me and new what was going through my mind"

-Ron Peker

I would like to present an encounter that Rabbi Michael Schudrich the Chief Rabbi of Poland had with the Rebbe in the winter of 1990, also included is interesting picture of the Rebbe (part 58 in the series) Special thanks to the Chief Rabbi for sharing his encounter with me and to Rabbi Mordechai Kirschenbaum.



"In 1990 during the fall of communism, when Judaism began to revive again in Poland. At the time I was in contact with Rabbi Moshe Herson, a Shliach of the Rebbe in Morristown N.J. who was in touch with Ronald Lauder and David Chase; both very active in their efforts to revive Judaism in Poland. It was during one of these meetings that Rabbi Herson mentioned that they were going to go for Sunday dollars to the Rebbe; he asked me if I wanted to join, and I readily agreed.


At that time I had written a portfolio, about different projects that I wanted to start in Poland; including all the financing needed. It was late in the week and I figured maybe I could send the portfolio to the Rebbe (I took out the finances, and I also knew that the amounts of mail the Rebbe was getting at the time was enormous, and was therefore hoping the Rebbe would at least have a look at by Sunday), which Rabbi Herson agreed to do for me.


I gave him the portfolio on Thursday; he brought it with him to 770 on Friday to give in to the Rebbe's office. When I was writing up the portfolio I also included a list of topics that I had lectured on in the past, amongst them was a lecture on the topic of "what Jews really think about J.C.?" I didn't think it was appropriate to send it in to the Rebbe, so I took it out and reprinted it to go in to the Rebbe.


On Sunday when I came by The Rebbe for dollars, The Rebbe looked at me, gave me a dollar and said: "Bracha V 'Hatzlacha."


As I was walking away, I was called back, and The Rebbe told me:


"This that you were giving shiurim in these topics about "Oseh Haaish" -it's not something you should give shiurim on. You should focus more on the positive -Jewish issues...." Needless to say I was speechless as I left 770.


Good Shabbos.


Menachem.


Copyright © Menachem Kirschenbaum 2007



No comments: