Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Rebbetzin "Are You Going To the Rebbe's Farbrengen"














"I phoned Beis Rivkah and I asked to speak with Chaya Lew. The secretary explained to me that there is a school policy not to allow girls to take phone calls on the school telephone. The Rebbestin concluded: "I don't know how to get in touch with her."


- Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka


In honor of Chof Beis Shvat I would like to present an Encounter with the Rebbetzin. Also included is interesting pictures of the Rebbe part 55 and 56 (the first picture is Rebbetzin Chana and Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka at a wedding) Special thanks to Rabbi Shmuel Lew and Rabbi Zalman Lebovic.


"When my oldest daughter was studying in New York at Beis Rivkah, my father-in-law and mother-in-law, Rabbi Zalman and Mrs. Jafee, went to visit the Rebbetzin.


It was during the month of Tishrei, and they took along with them other members of the family, including my daughter who was studying in New York. My father-in-law explained to the Rebbetzin that his granddaughter is staying in New York to study, and that although she does not have any relatives in the community, she is very happy to be here within the community and to study in the Rebbe's institution. When the Rebbetzin heard this, she replied:


"I will try to keep in touch with her"


A number of weeks later, on Yud Daled Kislev (the anniversary of the Rebbe and Rebbetzin), my father-in-law phoned the Rebbetzin to wish her Mazal Tov on her anniversary. The Rebbetzin told my father-in-law, "I am trying to contact your granddaughter but I am unsuccessful!" My father-in-law asked the Rebbetzin how she is trying to contact her. To which the Rebbetzin replied:


"I phoned Beis Rivkah and I asked to speak with Chaya Lew. The secretary explained to me that there is a school policy not to allow girls to take phone calls on the school telephone. The Rebbestin concluded: "I don't know how to get in touch with her."


My father-in-law gave the Rebbetzin my daughter's phone number at her apartment, where my daughter and two of her friends we living. The Rebbetzin phoned the apartment and one of my daughter's friends told the Rebbetzin that she was not in and that she was out shopping and asked the Rebbetzin if she wanted to leave a message. The Rebbetzin asked her to tell Chaya that Mrs. Schneerson from President Street called and would appreciate it if she returned her phone call. This is how the relationship began and from then on Chaya would visit the Rebbetzin.


On Purim, my daughter brought the Rebbetzin Mishloach Monos . When she entered the Rebbetzin's home, the Rebbetzin asked her to eat something. My daughter explained to the Rebbetzin that she had already eaten. The Rebbetzin then asked her if she would be going to the Rebbe's Farbrengen. When my daughter responded that she would be going to the Farbrengen, the Rebbetzin exclaimed: "At the Rebbe's Farbrengen, there is a lot of pushing, so please eat some more food for extra strength!"


Good Shabbos.


Menachem.


Copyright © Menachem Kirschenbaum 2007



No comments: