Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Rebbe "My Brother Passed Away At a Young Age"














"You knew my brother very well; tell me something you remember about him." (After sharing many different memorable things with the Rebbe that I experienced with his brother Reb Yisroel Aryeh Leib.). The Rebbe then told me: "He had a very Good head, and a very good memory. He passed away at a young age, it's a pity"

-Professor Yackov Cohen


In honor of Yud Gimmel Iyar, The Yartzeit of the Rebbe's brother- Reb Yisroel Aryeh Leib, I would like to present memories from Professor Yackov Cohen, who was very close to Reb Yisroel Aryeh Leib. Also included is an interesting pictures of the Rebbe, part 65. I would like to give a Yasher Koach to Rabbi Levi Garelik who took upon himself to write a brief description on every week's picture.

Professor Yackov Cohen Relates:

I am not here to add or say anything new regarding the "Schneerson children" (referring to the Rebbe and his brothers) in regards to how brilliant and talented they are. Besides their knowledge in Torah and Chassidus, they have a tremendous knowledge in mathematics and in other secular studies. I would like to share a conversation that I had with Reb Yisroel Aryeh Leib regarding the Atom bomb. the conversation took place in a Library in Tel Aviv in which he served as one of the Librarian's until he moved to Liverpool, England:

I remember when in Israel all of the newspapers had different write-ups on the Atom bomb. I asked Yisroel Aryeh Leib his opinion on whether or not it was a good thing. His reply was as follows:

"Yackov The fact that the Atom bomb was revealed can bring destruction to humanity. If one time it will end up in the wrong hands, it can bring terrible destruction to the world. Once it goes off - there is absolutely no control over it."

He concluded. "I therefore don't know whether or not the fact that it was revealed is a Bracha to the world, or an extremely dangerous invention."

The picture of the Rebbe:

Lag B'Omer parade 5744 (1984).

Good Shabbos.

Menachem.

Copyright © Menachem Kirschenbaum 2007

No comments: